If you have been reading my blog for any length of time you know I am getting married and doing all the planning myself. #STRESSFUL!!!! My mom told me that I cause most of my stress.She said "this is all this new school stuff... you want to much from people." Maybe it is true and I am the reason people do not return calls or emails. Or maybe it is my fault that the number listed to the bakery and DJ online is actually disconnected. I'm sure that's all me.
SO I decided to write this post to help those who are recently engaged or hey pin it and read it when you get engaged. The facts!!!! 5 things I learned/wish someone had told me when I got engaged.
1. Those that say ooohhh I'm happy for you may not be as happy as they seem. Really consider who this person is in your life. I had some people who said this and later because they did not get engaged when they thought they should (before me) became bitter and passive aggressive. I'm not sure why we as women have this innate feeling of competition with other women, but that's a post for another day
2. Take some time to enjoy being engaged BEFORE posting it on social media, and calling your friends. I promise they will be just as happy a few hours later. My poor fiance, after posting it I got non stop texts and calls and really kinda just ignored him because I was caught up.
3. Don't ask your wedding party until a little while in. Things change and so do attitudes. Its sad that women can't just be happy for each other but its a never ending competition. It is like a card game and in single women circles marriage is the big joker. Sometimes people can not handle losing. Keep the wedding party small. I have 8 bridesmaids and 2 Jr Bridesmaids. It is a lot of people to keep up with. Some people prefer text others want emails... it can be a lot to manage.
4. Learn to say NO!!!!!! People will come out of the wood work with "hey I love u and I know I'm in the wedding" "Send me an invite I want to be there." Do not feel pressured to invite EVERYONE. Invite those who mean something to you and whose presence you will actually miss....Saying no also means managing your mother. (Oh so its just my mom who is a momezilla #shrug). Mom says order a band for 3000 bucks when you really want a dj because you wanna hear "back that ass up" by juvenile and that just does not sound good on a violin you have to say NO MOM.
5. STAY IN YOUR BUDGET!!!!! Sure you want the glitz the glam the bling (just me again??) but you still have to live after all this is said and done. Pinterest will have you broke!!! While I am an avid pinner, look at the DIY boards, or get the ideas and scale it down to fit your budget. You do not want to start your new life in debt or arguing about money!
Hope this helps...it helped me to vent so there may be more of these post LOL!!!! Thanks for reading!!!!